Everything you need to know about losing weight
Have you tried a number of crash diets that leave you feeling defeated because you did not lose a pound? Rest assured that you are not alone, but thankfully you can bounce back from failure. If your approach keeps you from losing weight, then that is where you should make the first change. An attempt to lose as much weight in a little time as possible does not lead to success. This is not a competition with anyone, but rather the effort to lose weight in a healthy way. There are a few things you need to learn while on your journey to a slimmer, healthier you.
Break your unhealthy habits
If you are overweight, then chances are you developed a few unhealthy habits that need to be broken. What better time to start than now? Some people might eat a reasonable portion for their main meals, but they tend to snack a lot, which is even worse. The problem with snacking is that you are unaware how much you are really eating until it is too late. If are guilty of this, it is time to stop this unhealthy habit. When you need to snack, opt for healthy portions of fruits or nuts instead of chips.
Don’t skip breakfast
Anyone who skips breakfast makes a mistake that many dieters make and, ultimately, regret because skipping breakfast will not make you lose weight. Breakfast is the first meal of the day and sets the pace for the rest of your day. It is also a very important part of your weight loss progress. Research has shown that there is a direct link between breakfast and successful weight loss. When you eat a healthy breakfast, the body feels nourished and you are less likely to overindulge during the rest of the day. Make healthy breakfast choices such as whole grain toast, fruits, cereal, orange juice, or a glass of skim milk.
Eat lots of fiber
Fiber can help you to reach your weight loss goal so it should be included in your diet. Fruits such as strawberries and pineapples contain lots of fiber. You can also get fiber from eating vegetables, brown rice, whole wheat bread, and cereal. Other foods that contain fiber include:
- Seeds and nuts
- Brussel sprout
- Potato with skin
Fiber plays an integral role in helping persons lose weight because:
- It interferes with the absorption of fat
- It is often found in foods that contain large amounts of vitamins and minerals
- It takes up lots of space in the stomach which makes you feel fuller for a longer period
- It takes longer to chew than other foods which means we feel satisfied quicker
There are other things that you can do to ensure that your weight loss efforts are successful. Set a goal for yourself and a deadline for achieving this goal. Keep your timeline realistic; remember that this is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix scheme. Aim for 1-2 pounds per week, not ten pounds. Studies have shown that people who lose weight in a realistic timeline have a greater chance of keeping it off for good as opposed to those who lose large amounts in a short period. In order to keep track of your progress, you should keep a food journal and track the foods you eat throughout the day. At the end of each week if your goal is not achieved, your food journal can help you to pinpoint where you faced challenges.
Can liquid diets aid in weight loss?
Liquid diets have been around for many years, but lately, they are becoming more popular due to celebrity endorsements. It continues to grow in popularity due to the benefits of its drastic weight loss, but it also has other advantages:
- When you are on a liquid diet the digestive system gets a rests because liquid is much easier to digest than solid foods.
- It is very good for the skin, giving it a younger appearance with a change in as little as 24 hours from the start the diet.
- It helps to eliminate toxins from the body
- It increases your energy
- It improves your mood and helps you to think clearer
There are different types of liquid diets. Some replace daily meals with nutritional shakes. Other liquid diets consist of drinking only juices made from fruits and or vegetables. There are also options where some of the meals are replaced by liquids and persons are allowed to consume nutritional bars throughout the day. If you chose to use a liquid diet to aid in your weight loss progress, there are some facts you need to keep in mind.
Liquid diets should only be done over a short period of time; it should not be used for a long term commitment. During the liquid diet, certain calories are restricted and, if this is done over a long period, it can prove problematic for your health. You also need to consult a doctor, nutritionist or dietitian before embarking on this or any diet for that matter. A health care practitioner will be able to set a time frame for your diet, but most beginners start a few days to a week at the most.
Choose a time span for your diet when you are not expecting any stressful situations, because you should be in a restful state of mind during this time. If you are planning a big soiree, expecting your in-laws to visit, or preparing an important presentation at work, then do not chose that particular day, week or month to go on this diet. Stressful situations can adversely affect the diet.
Things you need for your liquid diet
If you are embarking on a juice diet, then you will need to shop for the required supplies. The main things you need are:
- Herbal teas
- Fresh fruits
- Fresh vegetables
The diet will consist of about 8 glasses of water each day and each meal will be replaced with vegetable and or fruits juices. It is recommended that you opt for mostly vegetables juices because they contain more digestive enzymes, which will be very helpful on your diet. Throughout the day you can also sip on herbal teas, but check that they do not include any type of sugar.
If you are dieting during a workweek, you need to mix juices and take them to work with you. You should also have your water bottle and another bottle for your herbal tea to keep you feeling full throughout the day. Stay away from places such as fast food outlets and restaurants while you are on the liquid diet. If you must go to a restaurant for a business dinner, make sure to order herbal tea, fresh fruit juice, or water; don’t be tempted by the other options on the menu. You are not required to do any exercises during the course of your liquid diet. The most exercise that is advised is leisurely walks, but nothing else that will allow you to increase your heart rate or break a sweat.
Tips for weight loss success
Weight loss requires dedication and commitment because there are no magic tricks that can make the pounds disappear. In order to lose weight, you need a healthy diet plan, regular exercise, and a positive attitude. For your weight loss efforts to be successful, you must also surround yourself with people who can help and encourage you along the way. If you have a neighbor or friend who is also overweight, then team up and take this journey together. If you have coworkers who are overweight, then create teams and start a competition to see who can lose the most weight. A little competition never hurt anyone, but first here are some instructions to help you on your journey.
Instructions on how to choose a plan:7
- The first thing you need to do is establish how much weight you want to lose and a timeline for losing it. Make realistic goals such as 1-2 pounds a week for six months. An unrealistic goal such as 30 pounds in 30 days will only leave you disappointed.
- Visit a doctor or a dietician and tell them about your long-term weight loss goal. They will be able to calculate how much weight you need to lose each week in order to achieve it. They can also offer tips and advice on the healthiest ways possible to achieve your objective in the desired time.
- It is important that you learn to observe your body mass index, more commonly referred to as BMI. This is better than just knowing your body weight because BMI will let you know the appropriate weight for your particular height. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s website has a chart that you can visit and calculate your BMI.
- Chose an exercise program that you can stick to for the long term. There are a number of options available to suit any preference. If you like being outdoors, then you can jog in the morning or take a hike on weekends. If you like to dance, then sign up for a dance class or a belly dancing class. If you prefer something else, then do yoga or Pilates. It is important to just do something fun that will keep you motivated.
- If you are not going to use a specialized diet program, you can still take tips from them to help you in your efforts. Some plans restrict protein while others restrict carbohydrates and sugars and some focus on limited amounts of starches. Read as much as you can about each diet and make sure you understand the pros and cons of the choices you make.
- Simple changes to your daily routine can play a major role in weight loss. Instead of taking the elevator at work, take the stairs. A five-minute walk to the supermarket is healthier than driving there. If you have to drive somewhere, park your car a few miles away from your destination and walk the rest of the journey.
- Budget for your weight loss plan, if you opt for a popular program, there might be a cost to join. However, if you plan to lose weight on your own, you will need to shop for fresh fruits and vegetables and other healthy options that might cost a little more than you usually spend on junk food. If you plan to join a gym or take a dance class, you will also need to spend money so take these things into consideration. In the end, the extra money you spend will be worth it when you are successful in losing the extra pounds.